Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is the ultimate way to get cozy during the colder months. Made with flavorful ingredients like fresh tomatoes, carrots, garlic, and pesto, this mouth-watering soup guarantees to be your new favorite fall and winter dish.
257 CALORIES28g CARBS16g FAT6g PROTEIN
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Ah, soup season! This time of year always has me revisiting the classics and looking for ways to improve them. Take the iconic tomato soup, for example. There are so many unique ways to alter and enhance this ultra-popular fall/winter dish. When I began to work on this Roasted Tomato Basil Soup recipe, I knew I had discovered a winner.
This fall soup recipe is vegan-friendly, low-carb, and mind-blowingly delicious. Seriously, it never ceases to amaze me how much incredible flavor this dish yields, though very little work!
The key is roasting the tomatoes beforehand to deepen and enhance the flavor. That simple step does wonders for this tomato soup, much better than boiling the tomatoes. It is also so much better than any canned tomato soup you may have tried and honestly is couldn’t be easier to make.
Try serving this soup with a loaf of sourdough bread or crackers for a delicious and cozy winter meal. Grab a grilled cheese sandwich and start dipping for a classic winter meal. For a soup and salad combo, you can pair it with a fresh and flavorful salad like my Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad or this Easy Arugula Salad.
This healthy tomato soup stores well making it great for making ahead of time and freezing. I love making a big batch on Sunday afternoons to enjoy throughout the week, then freezing whatever I can’t finish. When I think of comfort, I picture this dish. Seriously, you’re going to love it!
To make this delicious tomato soup, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Roma tomatoes: You’re going to want to grab the ripest, juiciest Roma tomatoes (or plum tomatoes) you can find for this tomato soup recipe. If you can’t find Roma tomatoes at the store, you can swap them for another variety of tomatoes of a similar size.
- Onion and garlic: Essential in nearly every homemade soup recipe, these delicious aromatics add a ton of mouth-watering savory flavor.
- Carrots: Fresh carrots add a ton of flavor and help give the soup its creamy consistency.
- Vegetable broth: This makes up the flavorful base of our soup. If you don’t have this, feel free to use chicken stock.
- Pesto: This is my secret ingredient, shh! It adds that wonderful basil flavor that pairs so beautifully with tomatoes. You can make your own pesto from scratch or use your favorite store-bought version. If you aren’t planning on using the pesto, make sure to add some herbs to the soup like fresh thyme, rosemary, or basil.
How to Serve Tomato Basil Soup
Believe me when I tell you that Tomato Basil Soup tastes absolutely drool-worthy on its own. However, if you’re looking for a more filling meal, here are some of my favorite ways to serve tomato soup:
- With bread. Soup and bread make for an irresistible combo. I recommend pairing this tomato soup with fresh sourdough, or you could try these Two Ingredient Dough Breadsticks or some Easy Dinner Rolls.
- With salad. If you’re looking to transform this delicious tomato soup into a satisfying yet healthy meal, try pairing it with a salad! I recommend either this Spinach Salad with Creamy Balsamic or this Lentil Salad.
- As an appetizer. Tomato Basil Soup makes for a show-stopping appetizer to start off any meal. Try serving this dish before a pasta dish like this delicious Stovetop Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna or a lean protein like this Grilled Flank Steak with Balsamic Marinade.
- With grilled cheese. Tomato soup and grilled cheese is the ultimate classic. For a little special something, I recommend trying this Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese.
- On its own. Who says you need to serve this dish alongside any dish? Tomato Basil Soup tastes absolutely amazing on its own as a delicious healthy lunch or light dinner. Garnish with fresh basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, and some cracked black pepper, then enjoy!
Tomato Soup Storage Tips
Crossing your fingers for leftovers? Luckily for you, soup recipes like this Tomato Basil Soup are a breeze to store. All you have to do is seal your leftovers in an airtight storage container, then you can store them in one of two ways:
- In the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- In the freezer for up to 4 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy tomato soup recipe:
Is tomato soup healthy?
Yes! Tomato soup chock-full of essential nutrients and antioxidants, but it also helps aid in weight loss. This delicious tomato soup replenishes the body’s nutrients and cleanses the body, helping it burn fat. It’s a perfectly healthy meal to add to your diet this season.
How do you thicken tomato soup?
Two tablespoons of water and a pinch of flour is a surefire way to thicken Tomato Basil Soup. Make sure to mix the flour into the water beforehand to prevent your soup from getting lumpy! Add your mixture gradually while constantly stirring, then stop once you have reached your desired thickness.
How to make tomato soup creamier?
We puree this soup in a blender for a really creamy finish, but you can easily add some coconut milk, heavy cream, or half and half to make it even creamier and richer.
I recommend blending up your soup first, then adding it back to the pot before adding in the milk and stirring. You may need to add some more salt and pepper, so do a taste check before serving.
What can I add to tomato soup?
There are plenty of fantastic ways to upgrade this dish for a show-stopping presentation. Some of my favorite ways to garnish tomato soup are with croutons, toasted nuts, cracked black pepper, crushed red pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Hearty Barbecue Rice Bowls That Are Worth The Try
Delicious Asian Style Soup Recipes You Need To Try Now
Food 4 Wealth Review