Foods Guiding Bars, a charity reworking prison meals, introduced a sequence of cooking competitions for the duration of lockdown. We serve you J’s recipe that took the top title at HMP Brixton
J won the Food items Driving Bars cooking level of competition at HMP Brixton. They described the story powering the prime-tier chicken curry recipe with cheesy tandoori flatbreads, and why the dish indicates a lot more than just a decent meal.
“Growing up in a regular Asian residence, I woke up to the aroma of my excellent mother’s cooking.
“The smells of three or 4 distinctive curries every single day would set a smile on anyone’s confront, but not mine mainly because I was ingesting curry just about my entire life and started out getting bored of it. Right up until I was a couple of months into my sentence and I realised how badly I skipped my mother’s Bangladesh-infused curries.
“The curries you have in jail don’t look at to the classic techniques of a curry produced with like. So the dish I have ready for you is loaded with and infused with passion, classic solutions and spices.
“This dish has been handed down via the history of my relatives and I’ve witnessed it bring joy not just to me and my family, but also pals and attendees. So as a result I have picked this model of dish with additional twists of my very own. I current to you… a blast from the past.”
The making of J’s traditional Bangladeshi chicken curry
For the curry (helps make 3-4 servings)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp very hot curry powder
- 2 onions, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 5-10cm piece of new ginger, grated
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 fresh new inexperienced chilli, deseeded and diced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Close to 4 fresh new tomatoes, chopped into rough cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500ml vegetable or chicken inventory
- 500g rooster on the bone – preferably drumsticks, no skin
- Handful of new coriander, chopped
- 1 fresh new pepper – purple or inexperienced, deseeded and around chopped
For the flatbreads (will make about 4)
- 185ml milk
- 300g basic flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 150g grated cheese
- 1 tbsp tandoori paste
- Get a large pan on medium heat, drizzle the oil and increase the grated onion right up until it commences having gold – around 10-15 minutes.
- Add the salt, grated garlic, grated ginger and the dried herbs – gradually cook dinner for five minutes.
- Incorporate the tomato puree and a very little bit of veg inventory to get started with – not much too much. The moment that’s cooked, insert every single spice in just one by a single, cooking each and every 1 out to its limits.
- Increase the boned hen and coat in the sizzling onion and spice blend.
- Cook for all around five minutes, including the inexperienced chillies, even so quite a few you want. Then insert the sugar to equilibrium out the spice.
- Chop the peppers and increase to the pan and then pour in the relaxation of the inventory even though stirring the pot. Cook with the lid off or ajar for a different 20-30 minutes. You should smell the flavours! Anyone will be out at the desk already in advance of you’re finished. I’m obtaining hungry just producing this down!
- To make the flatbreads, stir the milk and vinegar till it curdles. Combine alongside one another the flour, sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry elements. Knead every thing collectively, adding the cheese and a little little bit of tandoori paste.
- Use a rolling pin and roll out to your sought after form – not much too thick, not far too slender.
- Get a pan and increase a tiny butter. Make confident your flatbread pan is particularly scorching, then prepare dinner the flatbread on every single side, looking at it does not melt away.
- When your bread rises a small on each individual side, lower by to make positive it’s cooked suitable through. Bon appetit!
J bought bored of curry right until serving time in jail