75% of coffee beans found at the market around the world are those of Coffea arabica variety. The other 25% come from Coffea canephora (also called Coffea robusta), Coffea liberica, Coffea excela, and 30 other varieties. Although two different places might cultivate the same variety, the taste of the beverages produced in both places might alter depending on the condition where the plant grows. Here are some places of origin of some world-class coffee and how to differentiate them based on their characteristics.
This type of American coffee is mainly grown from finest Arabica variety. Cuban style is mostly nurtured and handpicked in the Sierra Maestra Mountains. Available in whole bean and finely ground espresso blend, the dark roasted Cuban type has strong earthy taste. The sun dried beans and shady plantation are the main keys to maintain the distinctive taste. Due to its strong flavor, Cuban-style beverage is commonly served in small servings as espresso.
Indonesia is known to world as one of the places to cultivate coffee beans of the finest quality. One of the famous Indonesian varieties is Java coffee. Java coffee plants (mainly from Arabica or Robusta varieties) are generally cultivated between 3,000 and 6,000 feet on fertile volcanic soil. This variant has strong, sweet, and spicy flavor. Some people keep unroasted Java coffee beans to age naturally in warehouses for 2 years or more. The aged style, usually called the “Old Brown”, results a beverage with less bitter taste and musky fragrance.
Hawaii is the only state in the U.S that produces internationally acknowledged coffee beans. Kona coffee from the Hawaiian’s Big Island is one of the most famous coffees in the world grown in lush volcanic soil, warm climate, and balanced sunlight and rainwater. Kona coffee beans are divided into two types; type 1 beans which are flat on one side and oval on the other side, and type 2 beans which are made of only one bean for one fruit. Largely grown on the slopes of Mount Hulalalai and Mauna Loa, the Hawaiian Kona has acidic, complex flavor with an intense aroma.
One of the finest wet-processed coffee styles exists. High in caffeine and frequently blended with other varieties, Costa Rican type are mostly grown in volcanic soils of Tarrazu, Alajuela, Heredia, and Tres Rios. The coffee plants are cultivated above 3,900 feet. As grown from Caturra variety, the plantation results coffee beans with distinctive bluish tone and hard beans. Costa Rican coffee is said to possess the quality of well-balanced flavor, aroma, and acidity.